The Renaissance Club of Henderson, Texas was formed in 1935 with a mission of encouraging civic awareness, promoting the town of Henderson and encouraging an interest in the youth of the community. First president was Mrs. Fred Hale, and membership in the group was set at 25 to allow meetings to be held in members’ homes. Currently, there are 30 active members of the club, which also allows sustaining, inactive and honorary membership. Members are simply required to be “in agreement with the objects of the club and able to use their talent and efforts to further those aims”.
Nine regular meetings are held from September to May on the first Thursday of the month at 1 p.m. Socials are also held periodically. Members are allowed to bring guests to most meetings and socials.
Through the years the club has raised funds and worked toward several goals, among these being:
• establishing and funding Henderson’s first youth center, “The Lion’s Den”
• helping fund and furnish the Henderson Community Center and recently, the Henderson Civic Center
• establishment of the Children’s Discovery Center in the Depot Museum
• helping to fund renovation of the 1855 Howard-Dickinson House and providing tours for students of the house
• providing scholarships for graduating seniors
• bringing noted children’s authors and artists into schools for educational programs
• providing funding each year for various charities and organizations, such as the Boys and Girls Club.
The Renaissance Club remains an integral part of Henderson and stands ready to help when projects are presented. The “can-do” spirit of club members has long been established, and members are called upon to use their time and talents in a myriad of ways each year to make Henderson a better place for all residents.